Projects & Initiatives
Ohio's Diabetes & Hypertension Quality Improvement Project
Funded through the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Ohio Department of Health (ODH), this project uses quality improvement strategies to improve the health of Ohioans through prevention and management of Diabetes and Hypertension. The project began in April 2019 and extends to June 2023. OACHC and ODH selected 11 health centers to participate in Cohort 1 (July 2019 through June 2021). In April 2021, an additional group of health centers will apply to be selected for Cohort 2 (July 2021 through June 2023).
- Slides from Cohort 1 Kick-Off
- Quality Improvement Project Metrics
HRSA Health Center Program Diabetes Quality Improvement Initiative
To improve diabetes outcomes and lower health care costs, HRSA has launched a Health Center Program Diabetes Quality Improvement (QI) Initiative. The Initiative leverages the resources of multiple HRSA partners, which includes, health centers, health center controlled networks, Primary Care Associations (PCAs), technical assistance and training partners, and others. By working in a coordinated fashion, utilizing principles of QI and data driven decision making, and sharing promising practices and lessons learned, HRSA is building a continuous, learning health system that will reap improvement in diabetes control for health center patients.
The goals of the Health Center Program Diabetes QI Initiative are:
- Improve diabetes treatment and management;
- Increase diabetes prevention efforts; and
- Reduce health disparities.
The measures of the Health Center Program Diabetes QI Initiative are:
- Reduce by 5% the number of patients who develop diabetes by year 2020.
- Reduce by 5% the number of patients with diabetes with an HbA1c value greater than 9% by year 2020.
- Increase by 5% the number of adult patients who receive weight screenings and counseling by year 2020.
- Increase by 5% the number of pediatric patients who receive weight screenings and counseling by year 2020.
- Reduce by 1% the disparities gap between racial and ethnic groups with the highest and lowest rates of diabetes by year 2020.
HRSA also aims to by 2020, increase the number of health centers that meet the Healthy People 2020 goals for uncontrolled diabetes for each racial/ethnic group.